Google AdWords - How to place an Ad
Instructions for beginners on using AdWords
Steps to follow
1. Go to https://adwords.google.com/select/main?cmd=Login
2. Click on "Sign up now. Click to begin"
3. Select a language or "All Languages". To select more than one language - hold down the CONTROL (Ctrl) key on your keyboard while you click on the languages you want to select.
4. To select the countries where you would like your ad shown, follow the same procedure as in step 3.
5. Once you have selected the the languages and countries you would like your ad shown in, then click on "Save & Continue".
6. Write an Advertisement following Google's example Ad and directions. Don't use superlatives like Top, Cheapest or Best because
they are not permitted.
An ad consists of a one line headline, followed by two lines of description and a URL. The URL is usually
your domain name minus the http:/www. The second URL that AdWords asks for is the full URL of the page you are sending visitors to.
You will see the sample ad change to include the information you have entered.
7. Once you have entered the 5 items of information to construct an ad, then click on "Create Ad and Continue".
8. If people were searching for your product or service on a Search Engine, what keywords would they type in? Make a list, then...
Enter one keyword or phrase per line in the box provided. You can put " " or [ ] around each keyword or phrase to qualify the search.
Click on "keyword matching options" to find out more. You can also add a minus sign before negative keywords so that your ad is not shown if that word appears in a search.
Once you have constructed a keyword search that you are happy with, then click on "Save Keywords"
9. If you have entered your keywords correctly they will now appear in the "Traffic Estimator" box.
You now get to choose how much you are willing to pay per click when your ad is shown on Google. The more you pay, the higher the position your ad gets displayed.
The minimum bid is 0.05 (5 cents) but with some popular keywords Google specifies a higher minimum bid. Enter the maximum amount that you are prepared to pay for each click on your ad,
and then click on "Calculate Estimates".
For each keyword the Traffic Estimator will show you estimates of clicks per day, cost per day and average position of the ad. In my experience, these estimates are usually on the high side.
If you are happy with the estimates then click "Save & Continue", otherwise test differing maximum cost per clicks.
If bids are higher than you are prepared to pay then abort the campaign at this point.
10. Adwords now gives you 2 options. Option 1 - Create another ad group with new keywords and a different cost per click, but the same daily budget. If you select this option simply repeat steps 6 - 9.
Option 2 - Click on "Continue to Step 3" - that's Googles's Step 3, not mine!
11. Now you need to specify how much you are prepared to pay in total each day for clicks on your ad. Put the amount in the Daily Budget box then click on "Save & Continue".
12. If you want to proceed then second to last step is to create an account with Google AdWords Select. Fill in the boxes and click on
"Sign me up for AdWords Select". Be sure to record the email address and password you used to sign up.
You now have an AdWords Select account but your ad(s) are not live and won't be shown
13. The final step is to login to your new AdWords Select Account and enter your billing information so that your ads go live.
Return to https://adwords.google.com/select/main?cmd=Login and this time login using your email address and password.
Enter your billing information in the Account Management section. Adwords Select will verify your billing details and charge your credit card $5 - you are in business!
(Unlike all other pay per click Search Engines, Google will extend you credit). Your ad(s) will go live and you should start getting clicks and hopefully sales, or whatever your most wanted response is.
14. To create new advertising campaigns for additional products, simply login to your account and click on "Create New Campaign". Repeat steps 3 to 11 and you will soon have your new campaign set up.
RETURN TO HOME PAGE
RETURN TO ADWORDS PAGE